Saturday, August 27, 2011

Affliction...Prepares An Ordinary Person For..An Extraordinary Destiny

"Affliction is often that thing which prepares an ordinary person for some sort of an extraordinary destiny." C.S. Lewis
I know in my life, I shrink from adversity. I run from it as fast as I can.  Yet, when I look back on my life, I realize that when I have truly grown, it is because of some trial.  Why is it so difficult to understand the benefits of affliction?

I once heard a preacher say that, “God will never use you until He has wounded you.”  The Bible sure seems to bear that out.  The “great” men of God were murderers, adulterers, back-stabbers, and cheaters (Jacob, Moses, David, Paul, Peter).  Those who have suffered great affliction are humbled by, recognize their dependency on God, and are thankful when God gives them a second chance.

It is very, very difficult, but we need to be people who are patient in the midst of afflictions, hopeful because God is using them to help us grow.  “Consider it pure joy my brothers, when you face trials of many kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance, and perseverance must finish its work in order that you may be mature and complete.” James 1:2-3.

If you have suffered a lot in life, take comfort in the fact that God is preparing you for, “some sort of an extraordinary destiny.”

3 comments: