Saturday, May 28, 2011

"Whatever you do, He will make good of it. But not the good He had prepared for you if you had obeyed him."

"Whatever you do, He will make good of it. But not the good He had prepared for you if you had obeyed him."
What a fantastic truth this is!  C.S.. Lewis is restating the truth of Romans 8:28,
"And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those that love God, to those that are according to His purpose."
Sometimes, I have a hard time making decisions.  Should I do this?  Or is that better?  What if I make the wrong decision?  How do I know which is the right decision?  When I begin down this road of turmoil, I am not resting in this truth.  In a very real sense, it does not matter what I choose, God will work it out for good.


That does not mean I should purposefully make bad decisions.  There is always a negative consequence for making a poor decision.  This is the point of what C.S. Lewis is saying.  When I make a poor decision, even when I sin, God will redeem it.  Yet, if I had chosen to do the right thing, I would not have suffered the negative consequences of sin.  How true has this been in my life!


This idea should bring us a great deal of peace, however.  First, it frees me from the fear of making wrong decisions, especially when I am genuinely seeking to do His will.  Second, if I do choose to do wrong, He will redeem it and use it for my benefit.  Keep in mind though, that the redemption may be painful. Also, this idea is not license to do wrong.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes it's hard to believe that all things can work together for good when I feel my life going south. I know ultimately God is gracious and has me in the palm of His hand. That's the comforting thought I have to hold on to, even on the bad days.

    ReplyDelete